Monday, January 7, 2013

Oven & Grill Cleaner: Dirty Oven

Alright, time to get back to work!

For some reason, I felt compelled to clean my oven before all of the Christmas baking and cooking started.  Maybe it was because we were having people visit, I don't know.  Now, I haven't cleaned my oven in a really long time.  And I'm lazy.  And I find it difficult to really scrub the back of my oven because I'm short and that's a long reach.  So, I would have preferred to run the self clean cycle and then keep up with oven cleaning by using the Oven & Grill Cleaner.  However, I won't run this cycle unless the windows can be open and the kids can be outside.  The book doesn't say just how hot the oven gets when the self clean cycle is run, but it's really hot.  And a lot of harmful fumes are created as it turns the gunk into powder. 
Here is the oven door before cleaning.  The right side is cleaner because I had cleaned that half with the Oven & Grill Cleaner for a demo several months ago.
The bottom looked worse in person than it does in this picture.
I warmed the oven to about 100 degrees F and turned it off.  Then I sprayed it with the Oven & Grill Cleaner and let it sit.  After 5 minutes, I sprayed it with water and started scrubbing with a Mighty Mesh Pot Scrubber & wiping with an Enviro Cloth.  Notice the drips running down?  That is gunk that the Oven & Grill Cleaner disolved.  After spraying it with water, it started running down the side.  Super easy to wipe up and removed from the oven!
It took 3 rounds to get the oven clean but there were no toxic fumes involved and I really only spent maybe 10-15 minutes total scrubbing and wiping (3-5 minutes/round).  Without the Oven & Grill Cleaner, I would not have cleaned my oven in December in Iowa.
From the product manual: Water-based and non-caustic
cleaner. Bio-based, all-natural and
biodegradable.
You can still see some gunk, especially around the light.  I could have kept working at it and gotten it spotless but I was ready to start making cookies instead.  In the spring, I would like to run the self clean feature to get rid of all the gunk and have a clean baseline.  After that, keeping my oven spotless will be easy with Oven & Grill Cleaner!



No comments:

Post a Comment